- CMU’s My Secure Cyberspace: one-stop-shopping for online safety info
- Wikipedia: an excellent starting point for information
- Google search: you can often find a site easily by typing a query into a search engine
- Bing search: searches as well as Google, and has much prettier pictures.
- Amazon: for all your “shopping needs”
- Time Magazine’s “Sites We Can’t Live Without“
- The Best Websites on the Internet: you be the judge
- Office Web Apps: See “A WORD ABOUT WORD” below.
- Millvale Community Library Chrome Network guidelines.
When you visit our library, you are welcome to use our “all-Chrome” network. Chromeboxes are ENTIRELY “browser-based”- that is, no software is installed to the device other than the Chrome operating system, the Chrome browser, and some utilities. PATRONS MUST EITHER HAVE (or sign up for) A PERSONAL GMAIL ACCOUNT, OR OTHERWISE USE THE LIMITED GUEST ACCOUNT. Since children under 13 are not permitted to obtain a gmail account, they are restricted to the Guest account. Read our guidelines for more information. We suggest that you bring along a USB flash/thumb drive. Feel free to bring your own wireless device.
A WORD ABOUT “WORD”
Chromebooks CAN run online “Office Web Apps” including Word. Click “Get Started Free” on that page to log onto your Microsoft SkyDrive account. SkyDrive accounts can be registered to any valid email address, including your gmail address.